Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Portable T perch for hunting large fields


Often, we are in a field with no trees or perches for the birds to stay in position. Falconers have devised a T post for the birds to have a good vantage point in the field. Mine is PVC on a telescoping paint pole. Extends to about 8 feet tall.  I use the Shurlock brand paint poles.  For tall abatement work, I also have the 6-12 foot and the 8-16 foot poles.  All modified the same way. I prefer the Shurlock brand as they are durable and the tab to raise the perch up and down is easy to use with one hand.   I use the 4-8 foot one for carrying in the field. Materials I use:   1 inch (schedule 40)  PVC (with the 'bell' on the end).  The 'bell  holds the T connection in the center for the other two sections for the hawks to land on on and does not spin when the hawks land.   I drill all the T post all the way through the factory drilled hole.  I then carefully measure where the hole is and drill the PVC bell all the way through.  To lock to bell top on I use a zip tie.  Then the other two sections, each 2 feet long fit into the T. I have glued or screwed these two so they do not come apart in the field.   I cap the ends of the PVC.   Then I put Astroturf on top for the hawks to land on.  I now wrap it completely around the perch.  I also put a couple of ball bungies on the T post to hold food tidbits and a flashlight to illuminate the tidbit when flying hawk in low light conditions or for recovery during night abatement work.  My hawks are trained to fly into their crates (vari kennels) which also have a flashlight inside them illuminating a food treat.  This is essential for nighttime abatement work.  In the center of the T.  I put section of Velcro and have made a 4 oz cup where I tidbit the hawks and give them water.  They really like having access to water and during a hot abatement assignment.  They will actually fly to the T post for a drink.  The T post idea for falconry is a new tool and I've found it as essential as a lure in the field.  

2 comments:

  1. Go to a where swimming pool supplies are sold and get a pole and brush for cleaning pools. Wrap it with astro turf and go have fun. You are out there to hunt and not to feed and water your bird. If you need to take a break from the hunt then stop and do what you need to do. You don't need tidbits to get the bird on the perch the bird will figure it out very quickly and will go there whenever it is availabile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather know my thirsty hawks are getting safe to drink water when out on abatement work or in the field. That is why I use the cup in the center.

      Delete