Popular Posts

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Creance for training

There are two types of creance used for training raptors. One is a weighted drag line, the other is a 'zip line' or 'slider'. I personally prefer the control of the 'slider' type for training. It is paracord, very strong and lightweight. It is on a notched piece of wood, with a slider ring attached to an 8 foot piece of paracord. I have two lengths and weights on the slider cord. one is lightweight for small raptors, such as kestrels and up to 500 grams. That ring is a simple split ring used for key rings. The larger is a metal welded for the red-tail and Harris hawks. The main slider cord is attached to two different T posts in my yard. Where the bird can fly back and forth during sessions. I have a ring on each end of the main slider cord to prevent it from sliding off. I've used this system since I began in falconry in 1974. I like the control it has over where a hawk flies, and how lightweight and portable it is for training.

No comments:

Post a Comment