Popular Posts

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hide boxes for owls and other raptors

I provide my owls with a hide box during the day for presentations.  The owls are visible to the public, yet they are comfortable, because they can hide and look out.  The comments from the public for this has always been positive.  They can see the owls, yet the owls are not stressed by being in view.

The hide boxes are two plastic flower pots, a PVC perch covered with astroturf.  I cut an arch in each flower pot with game shears.   I then sand the rough edges.  I put the PVC perch in the middle (with caps on the end) for the owls to perch on.  I then paint the exterior with plastic paint in camo colors.  I use local leaves and ferns as stencils to make the boxes appear more 'woodsy'.   I also put a heavy rock or brick at the base to stop the boxes from tipping easily.

Materials list:  Pair of matched plastic flower pots,  PVC pipe, (I use 1 inch inside diamter).  Flat caps for end of PVC.  Camo plastic paint, screws, astroturf.



No comments:

Post a Comment